Lost Valley is an educational institute and ecovillage in the Eugene, Oregon area. I look forward to one day working with them as a student, photographer and/or educator. They offer courses in forest gardening, permaculture design and natural building.
Here is an excerpt from their site:
Lost Valley Center Mission Statement: “We are a learning community creating catalysts for joyful ecological, social and economic regeneration.”
☼ To this end, we host courses, workshops, events, a conference center, and the Meadowsong Ecovillage residential community, which are all contexts for world view changing and interactive, experiential learning. People who come through any of those avenues will grow in their ability to be positive agents for change in a wide variety of work settings, social action groups, living situations and life paths.
☼ Our courses especially emphasize permaculture, ecovillages, green neighborhoods, communication in community, creating cottage industries, and an integral perspective which sees that all of us have something important to contribute to the planet at this time. Students learn through applying theory to action on-site and in our region, so one outcome of our courses will be providing entrepreneurs, apprentices, services and goods to our local community, creating more ecological, social and economic resilience in our bio-region.
☼ Goals for Meadowsong Ecovillage:
- To provide affordable community housing for staff and resident supporters of the nonprofit center;
- To serve as a living laboratory for observation, research, hands-on learning, experimentation and education that is relevant to helping rural, suburban and urban areas become more sustainable communities.
- We acknowledge and enhance our connection to the spiritual basis of our lives;
- We foster self awareness and growth;
- We encourage fulfilling work and creative expression.